Saturday, August 9, 2008

THE POWER OF FORGIVENESS


I thank my God for the gift of salvation and forgiveness
and mercy and grace. I have been thinking a lot about
forgiveness today. I have been reminded of how
important it is to be able to ask forgiveness and
to give it. I remember when I got my divorce
10 years ago and it was a pretty hard thing to
deal with.

Anyone that has gone through the same thing I am sure would agree with me. I never believed that divorce was ok and I knew that God would never approve, no matter what the reasons were for getting one.

Well, I did not file for one, but the other party did and I just did not contest it. A cowardly way of getting out of it and being able to say "well I did not file for a divorce". I had not been happily married for a very long time and neither had he. There were other parties involved on his side and I just did not know how to deal with it.

I was ready to be set free but did not know how to get free.Then when he did file, I was hurt. Dont really know why, because I wanted the divorce also, just too chicken to do it myself. I think I felt like such a failure. I was afraid I had disappointed my children and had set a very bad example for marriage. But actually my children were ok with it. They saw me become a new person. There were no more arguements, large or small.

I am not going to get into any of the details because there reallyarent important now. He went his way, left me absolutely nothing, promised me nothing. I felt sure he would come around and offer to help me financially but that day never came. I never asked for any help and never got any from him.

I was very bitter and angry for a long time because he did not offerto help me out financially. At some point I heard one of those tv preachers talking about forgiveness. I knew I was hurting myself more than anyone by hanging onto the hurt and anger.

This preacher said.......you have got to forgive before Jesus can forgive you. I knew that.......but I couldnt do it. I would try but the next day I would be furious again. He suggested that I just start speaking the words....."I forgive him".......for everything.

I am sure I had been a part of this marriage not working, so I actually had to admit that and then forgive myself.

I started speaking those words...."I forgive him" "I forgive him". Over and over not feeling anything. But eventually I realized that I was truly feeling the forgiveness in my heart. I could go a whole day not thinking about it and feeling sorry for myself. Then I woke up at some point and knew I had truly forgiven him. Wished him no harm at all. True forgiveness had come and I had been set free finally. I could not move on until I had truly forgiven him.

In Luke 7:44,45,46,47 Jesus talks about forgiveness.
I know I am a sinner, I strive to trust in Jesus and please
Him, but I know I am as filthy rags and need forgiveness
everyday for something. I thank God for showing me how
to totally forgive others as well as myself. There is nothing
our Lord and Saviour will not forgive us for except
to blasphem the Holy Spirit. That I would never do. The Holy Spirit walks with me and in me. I know my Lord loves me and
has forgiven me of all my sins. I pray that if I have
hurt any of you that you will forgive me. I have no
anger or unforgiveness in my heart for anyone. Some things happen and cannot be undone. That is where forgiveness comes in.

There is someone on my heart tonight and I am truly praying that forgiveness will come. To hold onto anger and unforgiveness
really hurts the one holding onto it more than anyone else.
I thank my God for His Son and His mercy and grace every day.



2 comments:

alma said...

There has been lots of talk about blaspheming the Holy Spirit lately. I'm not sure what each one might think that is...denying Him is the general assumption...To blasheme the Holy Spirit is to attribute the workings of the Spirit, our Lord Jesus Christ, our Heavenly Father, to satan. To give satan that power in our lives. Can any of us truly say those close to us are guilty of that. We may not like where their study or prayer life leads them but I beleive we should think long and hard before we make that accuseation.
As for forgiveness, it is not a choice when WE think a person has repented or has ASKED US for it. It is a COMMAND given by God himself. Think about being forgiven in the same manner and degree we want Him to forgive us. I think that would be fully and completely. Why can't God's people stop fighting and start uniting. I suppose we should also start to think about how we will spend eternity with all God's people if we can't forgive.

Lyndi Mac said...

I posted a poem - "You Are" on my blog www.stringapearl.blogspot.com last Friday which your family would probably say describes you. You have a beautiful heart LaJuanah and it's nice to meet you through our blogs.
May the Son shine strong on you and your family.
Lyndi