Tuesday, September 16, 2008

From the Mountains to the Swampland


Sharing some fun times together...............












Well we finally have made it back to Baton Rouge after about 3 weeks. I am just sharing a few of the pictures that I took while I was in Tennessee with my family. We had planned this trip months ago so it just worked out that we were gone during the terrible weather here in Baton Rouge. I was reminded so strongly of how blessed we all were safe in the Smokey Mountains while those here in southern Louisiana and Houston Texas were praying for the protection of their families and homes while the Hurricanes.......Gustav and Ike made their way through the south. There are a million trees standing on this road we live on and it looks like a million have fallen. I am sure the expense of cleaning up all the fallen trees and roof damages to homes is going to be extensive. We missed all the lack of electricity and ice and air conditioning not to mention trying to find a service station that had gasoline or a grocery store open just to buy a bottle of water. Sometimes the silver lining in all this is that Wayne and I have only been married for a year and have acquired very little materially. So we did not have to fight the fears of losing a lifetime of material things acquired while reaching the good ole age of 65. We are renting so we did not have to be concerned about having to take care of major damages done to our home or replacing furniture and other belongings because we have very little. It never has been a problem for either of us that we did not have a lot of THINGS. We are just so happy to have found each other and happiness that all the other just never was an issue. But we do sympathize with all those that have suffered a lot of damage and loss. We know they have worked many years to have what they have and it is only right that they grieve over the loss they have suffered. I remember when my house burned to the ground in 1989 in Prentiss, Ms. I went through many emotions. Susanne had died 4 years prior to this so the loss of our home was a big loss but it didn't come close to the loss of Susanne. I guess that is what has helped me to put into perspective the importance of life and things. I would have loved to have taken all my family and loved ones that were here in Baton Rouge and Walker and others close by with us to the safe haven of Tennessee. But I know that is not possible. Some stayed here and spent the complete time ministering to others after the storm had passed. The aftermath is probably tougher than the actual storm in many ways. So our prayers are with all of you that are still recovering from the awful storms. Please call on Wayne and I if there is anything we can do to help any of you.

No comments: